Thursday, July 28, 2011

Santa Clara Mission

(My continuing summer 'field trip' series.)

Santa Clara Mission is a part of Santa Clara University, the oldest college in California and is the only college in the state to be the successor of a Spanish Mission.

Founded in 1777 by Father Junipero Serra, this was the 8th mission out of the 21 CA Missions. This was the first mission built in honor of a woman, Clare of Assisi, the founder of the order of the Poor Clares.

Okay.. after four different mission visits, they pretty much look the same. The difference about this one was that it is now a prestigious university. And the place where one of my cousins and his wife married over 15 years ago. I vaguely remembered coordinating this wedding (my memory fades as I age). But my husband gently reminded me of a few details and it came back. This mission is on a beautiful flower-filled campus and it looks like a wonderful college to attend. (Note: I noticed that I did not see a prominent cemetery. I guess it would freak some students out if there was one on campus huh?)
Front of the Mission
Sanctuary
All of them fit into this little adobe window.
The 5 Musketeers: ages 7, 8, 10, 10 &13
One of the biggest tree trunks I have ever seen!
We picnic lunched on the lawn. It was a beautiful day! They had delicious food served at the Grill too.

No comments: