One of our first summer 'field trips' with my sister and her boys was to the Chabot Space and Science Center. I took my 3rd grade class last year as a field trip since one of our big units was Space but we didn't have enough time to explore the whole place plus squeeze in an IMAX or Planetarium movie. So I decided that during the summer, we would go back to see what we missed.
This is a great place to explore and get some 'hands-on' fun. The admission price includes an IMAX or Planetarium movie. (The perfect place for a quick shut-eye if you're tired).You can learn about the universe; the moon; the stars; and traveling in space. There were a lot of exhibits simulating various conditions in space and weather.
http://www.chabotspace.org/visit-chabot.htm
 |
| This exhibit was simulating the atmosphere of a gas planet which might be described as a Sea of Clouds. Some of the clouds are made of liquid water droplets. You use your hands in the 'clouds' to create turbulence and storm-like motions. |
 |
| There was a camera that took the kids' picture while they were jumping to simulate a gravity-less experience in a space module. They were supposed to email me the pictures but I never got them. Instead I got more promo emails about the Center. |
 |
| Cool space capsules to sit and play in; Here is J swimming in space as his brother navigates the space capsule. |
 |
| Hannah is simulating a dust devil: a vortex that is formed in the air, independent of clouds or storms. A tornado is a strong vortex that forms out of clouds and stormy conditions. Luckily, we don't get many around here. |
|
 |
| This spot was pretty cool. It simulated what a huge telescope does (reflect light) but it reflected sound instead. If you said something aloud while standing right on that spot, you can hear yourself echoing. |
|
I have to comment on these four kiddos above. My sister has three sons, her younger two are shown above. They are the same age as the girls. So that meant that my sister and I were pregnant at the same time.. twice. It was quite an experience for me.
(As I continued writing this I realized it got to be very long.. so I continued it on another post. Look for it!)
No comments:
Post a Comment