Monday, March 12, 2012

A Time to Rest

I love to sleep... but to rest... not really my style. Too many things to do: ministry events to plan for; emails to read; emails to respond to; bible study to prep for; albums to scrap; finances to prep for (just refinanced and changed banks); plus the day to day outdoor chores: grocery shopping (to three different stores), 'errands' drop off and pick up; and indoor chores: cooking, cleaning, organizing and of course: raising children: homework, projects and cleaning up after them. As you can see, 'rest' is really not in my calendared schedule.

Until recently, when I was literally bedridden with illness:

My meal of the day: every 4-6 hrs for the five days.
I shouldn't be too surprised since Hannah came down with a cough and fever, then my husband (he was so sick that he had to stay home from work one day... he hasn't done that since Hannah was born 8 years ago).

So I guess it was my turn. (Thankfully Emily is and was healthy as a horse!). The worst part was the head and sinus congestion that literally gave me a humongous headache. The cough made my chest hurt and my body was achy all over. I had a low grade fever that just would not go away... always lingering on 99.5-100.5 degrees. Had the fever for three straight days. It wasn't until my fourth day of being sick that my head kind of cleared up and I was able to at least sit up and walk around without discomfort.

Since I wasn't in the mood to do my 'regular' stuff around the house, I had to still be productive (being the Type A person that I am) so while I was bedridden for the first three days, I slept, and when I wasn't sleepy but was physically tired, I prayed. I prayed for myself to get better, of course (it's so debilitating being forced to not do anything and stay in bed) and for everyone that I know and love, and for anyone that I didn't know. Just talking to God. It was a really good time.

God says in Ecclesiastes 3:1, "There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under the heavens." I believe that our lives have become so busy with everything under the heavens that we don't 'rest'. 'Rest' and 'reflect' on our lives; to be 'thankful' for all things good and not-so-good. God never said that life here on earth would be easy but if we have faith in Him, He will give us the strength to persevere and live our short life here on earth to the fullest for God.

Check out this Francis Chan video: What Are You Living For?



Powerful huh?

Now other than praying, I also read some books. I have not done this for quite awhile. I used to read books like drinking water but since I started writing/blogging, I realized that it takes up most of my free time. Now since I wasn't in the mind set (or alertness) to write. I read.
 

Since  the movie is coming out soon, I started to read The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. I finished it in 5-1/2 hrs. Then I moved onto her second book of the trilogy, Catching Fire and then her third, Mockingjay. In three days, I finished the whole trilogy. It was THAT good! Overall, I enjoyed the first book the best. I have been enthralled with some of the popular Young Adult titles. They are so interesting and very well written.

Being sick gave me the opportunity to rest, pray and read. It was a good thing!

1 comment:

valerie clubb said...

thanks for the refocusing! good word!