Emily was a participant and so were many of her schoolmates from KHA. A total of 35 students from KHA participated representing 3rd through 8th grades. Five students represented our school for the 5th grade.
| Our great 5th grade mathematicians: Mihir, Charles, Adrianne, Shawna and Emily |
While Emily was test taking, we went to have a nice breakfast with some of our favorite family members, my cousin, cousin-in-law and their children (our godchildren). Our Munchkin (junior in high school) and Big Fella (freshman in high school) have grown quite a bit haven't they? We are very very proud of them! They'll both be going to Costa Rica on a Missions trip this summer!
It's been a long time that we all got together. Far too long... and never enough time to catch up!
After breakfast, we went back to the school to hear the results.
Emily placed 2nd in 5th grade Reasoning. Boy, was she so happy!
I was a little bit worried that she would expect a ribbon since the first time she competed was in 3rd grade and she didn't get a ribbon (she cried). Of course she also did the computation portion.
Last year in 4th grade she did the reasoning portion and ribboned in 5th place. I wasn't sure if she would get one this year and told her to be prepared to just do her best and not expect a ribbon. The competition is tough. We usually see the same kids there every year especially the ones that get a ribbon. There is one 5th grader from another school (that's also named Emily) whose parents are good friends of my sister and brother-in-law. She usually gets a ribbon every year. Like I said, tough competition. This year she wasn't competing in the same portion as Emily. Whew.. one less competitor to worry about.
It's tough for the parents too, you know. Now I kind of know how you parents are when your kid is competing in a sport. It can be very nerve-wracking!
So Emily won a ribbon and we are extremely proud of her. She probably got her math smarts from her Daddy since math is my weakness especially word problems.
Her Daddy wants to reward her with a prize. She said she wants a new backyard so she can make it more bird friendly (apparently our current backyard is not bird friendly enough!) So I guess we have to look for a new house with a big bird-friendly backyard... so NOT! She'll have to settle for a bag of bird seed.

7 comments:
yay for Emily! way to go!!! i have great respect for kids who do well in math competitions, since i do not get along well with math problems OR competitions!
(above comment by valerie clubb)
Congrats Emily! Great job.
Patrick
Smart math genes in the family! Way to go Emily... congrats!
Congrats! I like most people have a hard time with word problems. She did doubly good!!
Ka-Yen, great job! We are proud of you. What can I reward you? ( no new backyard) HaHaHa.
Mah Mah
Way to go, Emily!!!! I am happy for you!
Post a Comment