When I was teaching in public school, our school was not the top ranking school. In fact we were on the bottom of the totem poll in our district. Majority of the kids were ESL (English Language Learners) and from low income families. But we were a great school! How? Because of the teachers! We had AMAZING teachers! I'd like to call them SuperWomen ... and SuperMen since we had a few great male teachers too!
I learned and worked with the best. I really did! Even though I left teaching there 11 years ago, they continue on in the profession that probably gets the most criticized. My mentor teacher is still teaching back in her home town; one teacher is now an incredible principal; one changed districts and is at a district that is very different from ours.. we call it the 'land of the plenty'; one switched from Special Ed to Kindergarten (not sure which is easier) and one is still at the very same school that we all started at. Dedication and Perseverance and a true love for the kids... that's how they all are!
![]() |
| Me, P. the principal, and K. who works in 'the land of plenty' - 1999 ( in my old classroom I might add) |
![]() |
| L. (far left) who has been at the same school for 14 years! - 2003 |
| The Flamin'... |
| ... Dragon |
Okay, what does Sushi have to anything to do with teachers? I'm goin' tell you..
Many private school teachers have had a bad rap because many do not have a state-certified teaching credential. That's probably because credentialed teachers would prefer to teach in public schools where you get more money... way more money. I should know. I've worked in both sectors. And yes, the teaching profession is still one of the lowest paying professions out there depending on where you teach.
So you get the picture.. it's really low pay but again... when I was teaching at KHA, I taught with some AMAZING teachers. SuperWomen without a state-certified credential who will bend over backwards to help a child succeed in their grade. Who can ask for a better teacher than that?
Two of the teachers there are no longer teaching and I say, "What an incredible loss for the school and for future kids!". Both took breaks to focus on their kids.
That leads me to the Flamin' Dragon.. I had dinner to catch up with A., who is one of my favorite colleagues and teacher (and who was Emily's preschool teacher many years ago). She ordered this sushi roll that came out literally in flames on a plate. Its supposed to be the most delicious thing on the menu and she ate it all up! Every stinkin' grain of rice and sauce! I'm not big on sushi so it wasn't a big deal to me but this item was ordered numerous times throughout the night by patrons. (We should know since we closed down the restaurant.)
A. taught preschool for many years before venturing to the elementary side of teaching and taught Kindergarten. She is soooo good in what she does! Great rapport with the parents, was on top of how each student was doing individually and just a great person to work with! When we were dining, we realized we haven't seen N. for a long time.
I first subbed for N. when she went on her honeymoon four years ago. It was my first time subbing at KHA. It was also N.'s first year teaching at the school and she went on her honeymoon during Labor Day weekend! School just started and she was leaving for a week! Suffice to say, I was a bit nervous but she put together such great lesson plans for me, it was a breeze! Emily also had her for 2nd grade.
Four years later, we have become great friends and we celebrated the birth of her son, Jethro (Jet) last December.
![]() |
| Jet, a couple of days old |
![]() |
| Getting bigger! |
![]() |
| Jet & Mom visited the school to see A. and the infamous Mrs. C. last year. |
| He's full of expression! |
| He's going to be a heart breaker when he gets older!! HOT stuff! |
![]() |
| Mom and Jethro |







2 comments:
What you said is so true. Dedication and perseverance and true love for the kids are key elements for successful teacher. And teachers, parents actively working together for the child can make a huge difference. I still remember Mr. G , Mrs. Otani were great teachers for M123 in their elementary school. I am thankful to have Mrs. Choy for all my grandkids. I can see Mrs. Choy loves kids with dedication and perseverance.
Mom
Cezanne, you made me tear up! I feel blessed to be a part of your great blog post. Yes, we did close down the sushi place didn't we! Haha.
Also, I LOVE your pictures from your days teaching at the public school. It was a good reminder to me that it's all part of the journey. Oh and Jethro... He is absolutely ADORABLE :)
Thanks for an encouraging post! You're a special lady and great teacher, I'm lucky to have friends/mentors like you and the ladies in this post.
Post a Comment