Saturday, December 24, 2011

Fond Childhood Memories

Merry Christmas my dear readers! I am so thankful for you and pray that you have a joyous holiday. Jesus is the reason for the season. God bless you all!

Most of my childhood memories were about shopping... grocery shopping... in Chinatown. Not the new part on Clement but the one at Portsmouth Square, Broadway, Stockton and Grant Ave.  It was a place where my family traveled to once a week to purchase fresh groceries, pastries, and meats. This was the place to go since 99 Ranch or Marina Markets were not in existence.

I developed strong arm muscles since my siblings and I had to help carry all the bags of groceries to the car.  
As you can see, there are no shopping carts available. There's not even enough room for a stroller on the sidewalk.
Bakeries were my favorite places; those pink cardboard boxes filled with sweet pieces of heaven! My favorite was the custard egg tart called 'dan tat'.
During the Mid-Autumn Moon Festival, the ONLY moon cakes I eat are ONLY from Eastern Bakery. I'm pretty picky about my moon cakes.
A favorite hole-in-the-wall place my parents love to go to is Hing Lung Restaurant on Broadway.
The place is not the most visually hygienic but they make delicious, cheap Cantonese cuisine.

Their store front is a kitchen where the won ton noodle soups are made fresh daily along with their congee or rice porridge(jook) and rice noodle rolls (cheung-fun).
Preserved egg & pork porridge


Shrimp with Scrambled Egg Chow Fun
Roasted Duck Won Ton Noodle Soup
Crispy Fried Dough Rice Noodle Roll

No comments: