Monday, August 22, 2011

The Gang

It was 1991. Six single gals. All going to the same church. All part of YAF (Young Adults Fellowship). All wanting to connect with fellow 'sisters' in a deeper level. So we decided to start a Girl's Bible Study group at the House (3 of the gals lived there). That's how the Gang started.
Mid 1990's
1999
Yes, we actually did study the Bible together. Regularly in fact. We met weekly. We studied the Book of Romans. It took us three years for us to finish that book. After Romans, we studied the Books of Esther, Ecclesiastes, and Titus. Then we mixed it up and studied some Christian books such as Practicing the Presence of God and Revelation-Illustrated & Made Plain.

Then it was the year 2000 and life had drastically changed for us. Many of us were married; moved; had children; and/or attended different churches.  But the one thing that did not change was our sisterhood bond to one another. No matter how long time had passed we can still reconnect as if it was just yesterday that we saw each other. And that still exists today.

Whenever I'm in a jam and need advise or another point-of-view; whenever I need to vent on anything and anyone; whenever I need a shoulder to cry on; whenever I need someone to laugh with so much that I end up crying; whenever I need help remembering a fact or a memory that I can't seem to remember; whenever I need a prayer warrior(s), I contact one, two or all of these gals.

Having true 'sisters-in-Christ' can be the most precious relationships you can ever have!

Oops.. the two guys. Yes, can't forget to mention them. Other than hanging out at the big House, we also hung out at one of the guy's tiny apartment. Both had been an integral part of YAF and have become an important part of our young adult years at church and outside of church.
1994
2011
I have been privileged to be a part of everyone's lives watching their ups and downs in their jobs, relationships, and family life. And boy, are there lots of stories to tell. I'd love to share them just so I can get it all down in writing before I forget but I think I might lose some of these precious friendships in the long run so I'll just drop some 'memories'.

- Stu and Perry's rendition of Javert and Valjean's "The Confrontation" in Les Miserables
- Lots of 'coffee break meetings' with Marty when we both worked in the City
- Sus picks up total strangers and drives them to the City just so she can go on the carpool lane; I still can't get used to it whenever I'm with her
- One early morning (it was still dark) when I was staying over at the House(for the weekend) I was
shockingly awakened by loud noises of clanging right outside my bedroom window. Since I was on the ground floor, it looked like someone was coming to break in. I flew upstairs to wake up Sus to tell her about it; she sleepily said it was the garbage man and went back to sleep. Now why didn't she tell me that earlier?!?! Before I had the heart attack!
- "Open.. Open.. Open!"
-  The 'Terminator Eye'
- Sweating hot/cold stomach aches
- Marj & I saw Connie Chung at the Pebble Beach Tournament but were too chicken to go ask for an autograph. She was only a few yards away. (darn!)
- Sus and Dave's wedding had over 600 guests. The biggest wedding I had ever coordinated.
- Sus gave birth to a baby boy on Koreen and Kevin's wedding day.
- First Girls' Getaway 1999: Las Vegas; this is where I fell in love with the Mandalay Bay Hotel and Sus was pregnant

- Second Girl's Getaway 2006: Norwegian Cruise from SF to Vancouver and Koreen was pregnant

- Third Girl's Getaway 2009: Trip to celebrate Lis' Birthday and No one was pregnant

- We're hoping for our next Girl's Getaway is to celebrate Sus' 50th birthday.. in Hong Kong!!

We now try to 'all' get together twice a year: once for a BBQ in the summer and once for our Christmas Dinner. It's tough since two of the gals aren't in the Bay Area anymore. The last time we all were together was in 2009. Since the group has grown so big,  we alternate from my house to one of the guy's beautiful home in the Hills for the annual gatherings.
All of us minus another baby addition since '09
Below all of us (minus 3 gal's, their families and one husband) were in attendance for the summer BBQ. We hope that during Christmas we can gather all 29 of us together again!
Today
We always talk about when we become old and gray; our kids are all grown and left the nest; and are all retired from our jobs. We plan to sell our places, buy a huge ranch-style ranch house (no stairs for old people remember) with many many rooms. We'll all move into this place together and live as we were in our young adult years and take care of each other and our spouses until it's time to go to heaven. And then we'll eventually all meet in heaven and do it all again.. except we'll be in Jesus' huge mansion of a home!


6 comments:

Auntie Stella said...

Thanks for a touching blog. Sisterhood and friendship are really precious. Guard them, grow them, protect them, treasure them and keep them close to your heart!

Anonymous said...

Look at the hair in the first picture!! I will treasure our friendship always...

Anonymous said...

You have the most amazing memory! I did not know that we had studied all those books together. WOW! Impressive. Thanks for reminding me of all those wonderful wonderful times. We'll have to do something again soon. Love you much,
Marj

Anonymous said...

Nice retrospective! My best memory is Hanford's fake proposal. -stu

Anonymous said...

You have a great way with words and your hubby's pictures are really great.

Here's to another twenty years of friendship and get togethers.

- ml

CEZ said...

Ahhh... YES.. how could I forget Hanford's dramatic proposal of marriage to his future wife in front of all of us!!He got us good!