(My continuing summer 'field trip' series.)
Natural Bridges is a State Beach in Santa Cruz and home to one of the largest monarch butterfly sites in the Western U.S. The best times to see them are in September and October.
We checked out the last remaining 'natural' bridge. In the early 1900's, the three arches carved by nature out of sandstone inspired the naming of Natural Bridges. Wave action against the soft rock formed the bridges and also undercut them, eventually eroding away and leaving only islands. Historically, families drove horses and buggies onto the three arches to enjoy picnics.
 |
| Bridge in the 1900's |
 |
| Bridge Today |
We also went to see the tide pools. At low tide, you can see various sea life: sea anemones, hermit crabs, sea stars, mussels, urchins along with kelp and seaweed. My nephews were super adventurous and ventured way out on the rocks. Matthew and the girls also headed out there and saw way more than what my sister and I could see. But having a bad back or a bad knee did not allow you to travel well on the rocky, slippery formations. So we stayed put and watched from afar.
 |
| My three lone nephews in the middle of the land area |
 |
| Apparently, Matthew said that there is a nice line formed on the rocks.. kind of a fault line but not.. I didn't know what he meant until I saw this picture. Okay.. I got it! |
 |
| Five explorers |
 |
| Beautiful mussels |
 |
| Check out that camouflage crab! |
 |
| sea anemone and sea star |
 |
| hermit crab |
After exploring the tide pools, we headed to the Wharf to have lunch. What we found was a ton (and I mean literally!) of sea lions right under the Pier just hanging out and chatting.. or honking or whatever sound that they make. It was an amazing sight to see so many up close.
 |
| Just lying around |
 |
| This one was only 2 feet away from me. I asked it to strike a pose and HE DID! He was at first looking at me and after I asked, he proceeded to point his head up and looked away. |
Lunchin' on the Wharf... there were a lot of people actually fishing on this Wharf. I prefer this Wharf over the City's. It was really relaxing to eat delicious clam chowder, take in the sights of the Bay, and not have to deal with the crowds. It definitely was a quaint little town... Loved it!
No comments:
Post a Comment