Sunday, August 3, 2014

Birds and Boys

My continuing guest blogger, Hannah (Editor's words)

Today we left the house around 10:00 to eat brunch at White Spot. I got spaghetti and meatballs with a side of fries with Caesar salad. Then we drove to the bird sanctuary. We saw lots and lots and lots of birds. We even fed them.
The Reifel Migratory Bird Sanctuary is one of Canada's top bird watching sites. The Sanctuary (located about 45 minutes southwest of Vancouver) is ideally located in the center of the estuary and contains ponds, natural tidal marshes and sloughs all of which provide important resting and feeding areas for migratory birds.
I was feeding the geese and ducks. They followed the seeds I dropped. I felt like the Pied Piper.
There were geese, baby geese, ducks, and ducklings that we fed.
Canada Geese
Emily was in heaven.. birdy heaven that is!
Mallard ducklings
The Sandhill Cranes were so gentle.. they ate from our hands even though technically they are 'wild birds'.
Their bills were pointy and it felt like someone was poking a sharp chopstick in our palms.
The majestic bald eagle
Tree swallows; they had all these bird houses throughout the sanctuary
The sanctuary also had bird blinds or bird hides which are designed so that people can watch or photograph birds without the birds noticing or flying away.
Checking out the birds from the bird blind
More tree swallows
Red winged blackbird
View from the 2 story tower overlooking the marshes
After that we passed by 2 farms and we went strawberry and raspberry picking. It was so hot. My cheeks were sunburned so I had to shade myself with an umbrella all day. It was sorta fun.
There were so no more raspberries left so I bought only the prepicked ones from the store. After that we drove to the house to rest and then drove to 5-Sook Goong's house. Then we went out to dinner at Kirin. A seafood restaurant. Kirin is my most favorite restaurant to eat at in Vancouver. I warn you though, it's Chinese and pricey! But we always get taken to eat there whenever we come visit.
Tate finally let someone else other than his grandpa hold him
Bryce is such a ham!
While we went out to eat, Matthew's other uncle, 3-Goo-Jeung (Uncle Roy) went deep sea fishing for the day and came back with four red snappers/rock cods. They were huge!
Here they are filleting them!
Then we drove back to the house in 5-Sook Goong's car.

-Mui Mui Blogs

No comments: