[Continuing series on HK #3 of 10]
I think an American can feel at home in HK. English is freely spoken (although Mandarin is quickly dominating). Many American foods do exist... but in a different way.
Pizza... is seen as fine dining... like fancy Italian fare.
 |
| This is Pizza Hut in HK... you can make reservations.. they have tablecloths and a menu book! |
 |
| Specialty pizzas are the rave plus pasta dishes. Check out the Crayfish Delight Pizza. And Cheese pizza is an oddity.. who wants just cheese they ask? |
 |
| We ordered a super supreme and another pizza with half cheese and pepperoni for the kids. |
The pizzas were quite delicious... probably like our California Pizza Kitchen. It was funny trying to describe to HKers what the Pizza Hut was like back home. :)
This is Pizza Hut in my hometown.
 |
| Basically it's a place for you to pick up a pizza; no menu book; no tables to sit at, just a cashier behind the counter.. and the pizza quality does not compare to the one in HK |
McDonald's in HK offers different items unique to it's city..
 |
| HK McDonalds... the only one that has a double fish fillet....did you know that the fish fillet is a very popular choice for Asians? It's like our Big Mac. And they have spicy chicken wings.. they were delicious! |
 |
| Coke light was their version of 'Diet coke'.. it didn't taste the same for me.. plus without the ice it definitely was not the same. |
Shakey's Pizza... I was expecting it be like Round Table.. Mountain Mike's.. even LaVals.. but no.. here too it was Italian fare..
 |
| We ordered the lunch special for two which included mushroom risotto.. |
 |
| A tomato, ham combo pizza plus soup |
 |
| Priscilla had a kid's spaghetti meal that came with potato wedges and creme brulee. |
 |
| Hannah ordered penne with meat sauce; Emily had a kid's cheese pizza with creme brulee and chicken wings. |
Now we did go authentic and had Dim Sum...
 |
| Chicken Feet |
 |
| Siu Mai |
One of our favorite restaurants was Cafe de Coral
 |
| I always ordered the same thing: steamed chicken with ginseng chicken soup: all of the above was only $49HK which was a little over $6.00US |
 |
| Matthew got roast duck and BBQ pork (chasu) over rice |
 |
| The girls shared a spaghetti bolognese (baked spaghetti with meat sauce) |
Another favorite for us were the food courts... especially Pepper Lunch
 |
| Pepper Lunch: Basically, it's meat, rice and veggies (an egg is optional) that is served to you on a hot iron plate and it cooks as you mix all the ingredients around on the plate. Very hot (in temp) and delicious! Love how it makes the rice crispy! |
 |
| The girls got another favorite... ramen. Their chasu (pork) was so tender and delicious it just melted in your mouth! |
Another favorite food for me was the egg custard tart... 'dan tat' and the best ones had flakey crusts and were sold at the street bakeries for about $0.30 each
 |
| I got a cocktail bun, or 'gai mei bao' for only $0.10. It was huge and so soft! |
But I have to say that my most favorite pastry this time around was the Portuguese Egg Tart that was sold at KFC. Instead of a biscuit they give you a 'Po-tat' which was soooo good that I goobled it up in two bites. Also instead of mashed potatoes and gravy, they offer rice with mushroom sauce which also was delicious! Unfortunately I was unable to go back to KFC to have one more Po-Tat before I left! :(
 |
| At Kentucky Fried Chicken, a chicken wing, po-tat and rice with mushroom sauce |
Christmas was celebrated like it was a huge PAR-T-A! Yes... a big party!
 |
| Lights and decorations were everywhere! |
 |
| People congregated at the harbor to watch the light show, which is displayed or projected from 44 different buildings on the waterfront. This was taken at 10:00pm!! |
 |
| People taking pictures of themselves everywhere |
 |
| Some giving out 'Free Hugs'... I know... what's with that? We saw quite a few people with these signs walking around but not yelling and being obnoxious... that's not the Chinese way. |
 |
| Is it crowded enough for you? |
 |
| There was a line of people waiting to go inside this lighted tree. Inside are dozens of cameras lined up 360 degrees around you. The result is a 'bullet time' photo of you ala Matrix style. |
 |
| There was caroling... |
Mall displays were very extravagant...
 |
| Huge trees everywhere |
 |
| Ocean Terminal had this horse/reindeer display at their entrance |
 |
| The IFC mall showcased an acrobatic show with Santa fast roping down from the top as the finale... |
The really only Christian reminder that Christmas is about Christ was this Nativity scene which was
displayed in the lobby of our hotel... which was the YMCA.
It wasn't really Christmas to me since we were away from our families and the true spirit of Christmas, I felt, was missing. It was replaced by a huge amount of commercialism and the feeling of being a part of one huge outdoor party.
But that does not mean that I did not enjoy my Christmas. I enjoyed it and it was memorable due to the friends, old and new, that we shared it with this year.
NEXT UP: Christmas Abroad
3 comments:
The chicken wings at McD's were great...wish they had them here. The 'Po-tat' is better in Macau. It is their style of 'dan tat'. I miss the food in HK
This is my favorite post of your HK series so far...thanks for all the great pictures of the yummy food! It's also neat to see the comparison of some places in HK vs. here. Did you know that McDonalds in HK also has macaroni, rice and noodle dishes?? Of course they have authentic milk tea too!! (shock)
BigO... I know I wish they had the spicy chicken wings here too! I had the po-tat when I was in Macau (more on that in a future post) with Heather but for some reason I liked the KFC one better... weird huh?
MS.. thank you for your kind comment... wait and see.. there are much more on HK coming up...I didn't see the rice and noodles dishes in MCD but of course I was 'rushed' to order so did not have the time to browse through their whole menu... and I know you liked their milk tea!
Post a Comment