Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Thankful

At KHA, Heritage Day is a very important event. It's a day were we honor our grandparents and reflect on how God has blessed us so abundantly here on earth.

My parents came (Popo/Goong Goong) and this year my mother-in-law came (Mah Mah). She had just flown back from Vancouver the night before and battled three hours of morning traffic to make it down to the school that morning. [Like I said.. grandparents are one of a kind and should be honored!]

In Emily's class, each student was to bring an heirloom to share. Since my parents are from the poor villages of China, they did not have anything 'valuable' to hand down. Instead Emily shared an important document that I found at my dad's old house in China (when we were there in 2009). It was a customs document that gave my dad permission to enter into the United States from China. He was only 7 years old at the time on the document. [Note: he did not arrive to US until his 20's.] I was told that it's a rare document (Thanks Willie for translating) so I thought it was pretty cool for Emily to share it. She also showed her class some of her Goong Goong's math work when he was 7 years old. (Which I also found in his old desk at the old house where he was born in China.)

Goong Goong and Popo with Hannah in her classroom.
Hannah's Family Tree that was displayed on the board.
My niece Marissa (who is in 1st grade at KHA) with her Popo (my mother-in-law) and my mom (my girls' Popo).. are you confused yet?
After the class presentations, each class presented a song or skit to the whole school and guests during the Heritage Day Chapel.
Hannah's class recited a Thanksgiving poem called "Turkey Dinner"
Marissa's class sang a song called "Super Turkey". It took me awhile to find her with all the masks. She is right in the middle of the front row.
After all the presentations, the grandparents were invited up to the stage to receive a Prayer of Blessing.
[Valerie: Know that you and Pastor Daniel are here in spirit!]
Emily and Hannah are very thankful for their grandparents!

5 comments:

Heather Rose-Chase said...

It must be very difficult for the students whose grandparents are deceased or live too far away to be a part of this. I lost all but one of my grandparents quite young and remember one school I attended growing up having a grandparent day at which I was one of only two students in my class who didn't have someone there. The living grandparents was an eight hour drive away (or a flight and then two hour drive), impossible to be there. Every year when you blog about this or someone we know on Facebook posts about this, it takes me right back to that day. I'm so glad your girls have grandparents still living and mobile and willing to be part of their lives like this! What great memories they will have! I feel bad my boys are so far from their grandparents, but when we all lived in the same country I made sure the boys saw my in laws once a week and my parents once a month. I'm looking forward to next month when the boys will get lots of grandparent time!

valerie c. said...

i do wish i had more "free" time to be able to go to things like Grandparents Day. as the grandgirls get older, i long more and more for a time when i don't have to be at work--although working allows me financial freedom to purchase gifts for them when i see something. recently i decided that i want to set a goal to quit my job within 5 years so that i can do volunteer work AND be able to visit our grandchildren more! i hear your heart, Heather.

mom said...

I was glad that I made it to attend the Heritage Day since I don't get to go every year (I am always out of town for Bible conference at the same time). I am happy that I could get involve with my grandchildren's life.

CEZ said...

Heather & Valerie, Yes I am sure it must have been difficult for those who did not have their grandparents visiting. It's a lot to ask of them especially if they live far away which many, i am sure, do. I was lucky to have my maternal grandmother live with us when I was growing up. She practically raised me since both of my parents worked. She holds a very special place in my heart. Matthew's parents always make an effort to come see the girls at least once a month. My parents live just on the other side of the Bay, but we don't visit as much as we should. My dad asked as a Christmas gift to bring the girls over more often. I definitely need to!

mom said...

I think your father is very clever asking more often to see the girls. He really treasures family specially grandchildren! May be I should do the same for my next year Christmas gift! HaHa!