Friday, January 20, 2012

Better Than a Fancy Restaurant

My brother-in-law outdid himself. To celebrate his lovely wife's birthday, he decided to cook up a storm for her and her family. My brother-in-law, Kenny, enjoys cooking. And I have to say he does an amazing job of it whenever he cooks. He takes recipes and tweaks them to his liking. I say that is a huge talent.
Kenny and his lovely birthday wife, Matthea
Sliced Mozzarella and Tomatoes
Fried calamari
Linguine with Shrimp, Clams and Mussels
Garlic stir fried Asparagus
Grilled rib-eye steak
Garlic bread
Happy Birthday Matthea!
Personally, I do not like to cook. Okay.. that's being kind. I actually hate to cook. It's a huge chore for me. I never know what to make and when I make it I don't like to eat it. I don't know the difference between basil and thyme or any of the other spices. I try following recipes but it never ends up tasting as good as the picture looks. Know what I mean? But I do cook for the sake of my family. We have to eat and I want to be a good mother and wife!

But I love to eat. I would eat your leftovers over my food any day. As long as I didn't cook it, I'll eat it.

My dream is to have a personal chef! I don't want nor need a housekeeper, gardener, shopper, babysitter... but a personal chef would be fabulous! Nutritious meals that taste delicious would be a dream come true... and a personal trainer... no, that'll be too painful. Just the personal chef will do!

But in the meantime, if you have any yummy easy recipes, drop me a line! I'd try anything! 

ONGOING CONTEST... remember I will enter your name with each comment you post on anything I've written through February 9 . Random winner will receive a BIG prize!

12 comments:

Kay Rahman said...

I feel the same way, Cezanne. I don't enjoy cooking. Maybe I would, if I were better at it! Brian is a great cook, and my mother-in-law is fantastic. She actually won the Pillsbury Bake Off. It's a little intimidating trying to cook for her son!

valerie clubb said...

i, too, do not enjoy cooking. when i try new recipes, i will follow to the letter and it will turn out fine. but after one try, i seem to toss out the portion-size in order (i think) to make it more personally mine. ha! now i LOVE to bake--and there IS a difference between baking and cooking! i can usually make a cake or cookie recipe come out deliciously...but cooking a meal seems to be like higher math for me--very, very intimidating!!!

Grace Lee said...

Yum, it looks like somebody should be the next Top Chef.

Patty Chin Kashiwamura said...

I love to cook! It's like a never ending science project. I can't bake.

mom said...

Oh, now I know why Matthew is a good cook. He cooked yummy prime ribs, steaks, spare ribs etc. He didn't have any interest in cooking while he was growing up. I cook because that is my job and duty. But I learn to like cooking as I became a mother. Now I love to cook for my family specially for my adult children and 4 grandchildren.
Mom

Mom said...

I forgot to said that Kenny is doing a super job in cooking. Good taste and good presentation. He is very creative too. I am grateful that God has given Matthea a wonderful husband, a top chef.
Mom

CEZ said...

Kudos to all you Cooks and Bakers!! I can't bake unless you call taking out the frozen cookie dough and popping them into the oven for 15 minutes.. baking. My sister is an incredible baker and cook.. she reads cooking magazines and loves the Food channel.

I'm tired of the same ol' dishes that I regularly cook. This week I actually have tried 4 new recipes:
Orecchiette with Turkey and Broccoli
Spaghetti Bolognese
Soy Glazed Chicken with Stir Fried Vegetables
Apricot Glazed Pork Tenderloin

I followed the recipes precisely.. and yet none turned out for a repeat performance. They look great in the magazine but not tasty enough for our palettes.

I will try a short rib kalbi recipe my sister gave me next.. we'll see how that one goes.

Thanks for all your wonderful comments!! Love them!

CEZ said...

I have to say though.. I do enjoy cleaning and organizing!! Not sure many of you would say that you enjoy doing that!! :)

Auntie Stella said...

Wow, that IS a great meal... yum... I can see the special ingredient is L-O-V-E! This is the one ingredient that helped me cook easier and better.
Great family picture!

mom said...

I like Auntie Stella's comment. Yes, L-O-V-E is a very important ingredient! She has great insight.
Mom

MS said...

What a nice blog about my husband and my birthday! I haven't had the chance to even tell Kenny about it yet-but I will! I just can't keep up with email and reading your wonderful blogs! I am so thankful God answered my prayers when I prayed for a husband that would like to cook for his wife. I'm glad we have family that appreciates his cooking too! Thank you for celebrating my birthday!

DeAnn said...

So impressive! Great job Kenny! I love to clean and organize! I don't mind cooking, but it's not my favorite thing. I do love to bake, but don't have much time for that either.