Wednesday, January 18, 2012

To Ski Or Not To Ski

We usually go to Mt Rose (the closest ski resort to our hotel) to ski. I really like their children's ski program: Rosebuds. They take the kids, suit them up (lessons include rentals) and take them out. I have been pleased with the instructors the girls have had. Hannah, especially has had a hard time doing unfamiliar things. It's that anxiety of hers. Skiing is one of them. Offering her a prize at the end of the lesson worked.
All the girls took lessons. Emily took private lessons with her cousin, Jordan while Hannah took private lessons with her cousin, Lauren (Jordan's sister).
Personally, I don't ski. I tried for the very first time two years ago and after the first 15 minutes into the lesson, I fell, something popped in my knee and I went down. My instructor asked me to get up. I couldn't. For the life of me, I really could not and was in total pain! So they called the first aid ski patrol and I got to ride down the hill on a sled/gurney with a snowmobile pulling me.  Very embarrassing for me since I do not like the attention. It's that introvert in me. Now, my knee hasn't been the same since. I think I tore something.. probably my ACL someone said and now it feels loosey-goosey. Skiing will not be on my 'things-to-do before I die' list. At least I tried.

This photo was taken by the Mt. Rose photographer and posted on their website. It was captioned "Lotsa Laughs".
Hannah's diligent skiing.
Santa was going up on the magic carpet behind Marissa, Jordan & Emily.
Emily watching Marissa come down the hill.
Marissa did an incredible job skiing for the very first time. She's a natural!
My brother-in-law, Ken, his wife (my sister) and their sons, Z and J.
Ken, Jordan, Emily and Matthew on the lift.
Hannah finished skiing after her lesson. She came out to play with her cousin, Timothy, in the snow.
Daniel didn't ski; instead he played his DS and chess in the lodge.
Emily showing her uncle and cousins her new birdie apps on my ipad. She was educating them about the birds in our backyard.

ONGOING CONTEST... remember I will enter your name with each comment you post on anything I've written through February 9 .Random winner will receive a BIG prize!

7 comments:

valerie clubb said...

when i first moved up to the Santa Clara Valley, a couple of teenaged sisters invited me to go with their ski club (from Saratoga High) to Heavenly. they helped me get rental skis and i enjoyed the "fun" bus ride. my embarrasment came when i tried to get off the ski lift! i fell in front of everyone--and had to lumber out of the way for the next chair of people! after taking lessons on the bunny slope with beginners (all half my height!!!), i found that i really couldn't master stopping--which helped me make the decision to enjoy hot chocolate in the ski lodge while i waited for everyone to finish! you were very brave to try! i think the best time to learn skiing is when you are short! ;-)

BigO said...

I don't ski either. No need for speed here. Is this an Asian only resort? In the picture of the boys playing chess, it looks like everyone is Asian!

CEZ said...

Valerie, I totally agree that for many sports that involve the chance of falling down (which are many), it's best to learn when you are short and small. Doesn't hurt as much when you hit the ground.My sister took ski lessons with me and she's doing quite well. Of course it doesn't hurt to be 5'2" and 100 lbs.I am now the designated 'kid- watcher' and 'table-saver'! :)

Oliver, you know asians don't pass up a promotional deal..they're all pretty much from the Grand Sierra! Mt Rose is getting smart.. at the lodge they're serving chinese food. But people still bring their hot water pots and cup o'noodles! LOL!

Patty Chin Kashiwamura said...

I gave up skiing quite a few years ago. Due to the cost of a family of 4 with ski rentals and lift tickets and opted for Disney passes instead. I still have one storage box of Winter Boots with the ski bibs, although Nathan and Kalista do need larger size boots now. I make sure I work on my quads before I go skiing. It takes me a month to prepare LOL

Jeff said...

I used to ski...I even had my picture taken as part of Bear Valley's website for years! And then I started rotting from the feet up. Plantar, gout, bone spurs, etc...I can't barely even go to the slopes with the kids before my legs ache.

I am killer on the Wii Ski though!

CEZ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
CEZ said...

Patty.. I'll take Disney passes any day. You can see snow at Disneyland!

Jeff... You are hilarious!!