Monday, October 17, 2011

B.F.F.L.

In elementary school, my best friend was named Michele (with one 'L') and she was also my next door neighbor.  She had a ton of animals in her house and was part of the Four H club etc.. But my mom never let me go to her house (even though she was literally two houses down from us) probably because of all the 'dangerous' animals roaming around in and out of her home (bunnies, chickens, guinea pigs, dog, cat).

Then we moved and in middle school, my best friend was Andrea (pronounced An-dray-a). She was very nice but she was shy and I was shy so we just stuck together.. two shy girls.

In high school, I didn't have one 'best' friend. I didn't hang around Andrea anymore.. went with a different crowd. I 'thought' I had some best friends until they told me that they didn't want me hanging around them anymore. Yah.. that was a painful freshman/sophomore year. I can't remember who I hung around with during those years. I guess I just wandered aimlessly. High school was rough those two years.

My last two years of high school got better. I was 'let-back-in' with those gals and we became good friends. Some of whom I still keep in touch with today. BUT making friendships with girls was harder for me since that 'incident'. I didn't trust them. What if they turned on me again? Now boys were different. They didn't have all that drama and the majority of them were cool to hang out with. Many of whom I also still keep in touch with. I had more guy friends than gals in college also.

It wasn't until I graduated college and got involved in a church and their Career Fellowship group that I truly built BFFL's. These gals showed me what true lifelong friends are like. I am so blessed to know and be loved by them. I always think of them first when I have great news to share or when I have a big problem to solve.


Rachel has been Emily's friend pretty much since birth. Her parents are very close friends of ours. Rachel is eight months younger than Emily. She has been to every birthday party of hers.

I couldn't find pictures of Birthdays 1 & 2 (but her parents were there.. so she must have been somewhere).
3rd Birthday at Sulfur Creek Nature Center
4th Birthday at Build-A-Bear
5th Birthday Princess Tea Party at the house
6th Birthday Stamping party at the house
7th Birthday at Pacific West Gymnastics
8th Birthday at Silliman Swim Center
9th Birthday at Cloverleaf Bowl
10th Birthday at The Tech Museum of Innovation
11th Birthday at Coyote Hills Regional Park
When they were little, her mom and I would dress them alike. They were so cute. Rachel would be so much shorter than Emily but eventually she caught up with her. After awhile, they didn't think it was that cute anymore.

They were raised at FCC and attended Sunday School together but never went to the same school. Emily has always been at KHA and Rachel went to a different Christian school and now is at her neighborhood public school. Both of them are in the 5th grade. Rachel is the baby of four and Emily is the oldest of two.

They took swim lessons every year together until one year Rachel just zipped past Emily and pretty soon she was two levels above Emily. (I think she having a pool at her house helped... a lot!) Rachel excelled so well that she joined the neighborhood swim team; got a ton of ribbons; and was named all around MVP last year!

Rachel is also a part of AWANA and was in her school's musical play. But overall her personality is mellow and shy like Emily. But she will assert herself when necessary.

Emily has only slept over at Rachel's house and we only had Rachel come over to sleep over at ours (besides family members). They have a love for Webkinz and collecting other stuffed animals.

Emily calls her her Best Friend For Life because she (and I quote my daughter) "...because I like her a lot and I see her a lot but not in school and we like the same stuff and if we don't, she's okay with it."

Personally, I hope they stay good friends for life too. They will eventually attend the same high school. Rachel will be the last graduating child of the Y. family; Emily will be the first graduating child for our family.

I hope Emily doesn't go through what I went through in finding good friends. I am so happy that she has a good friend now.. at age 11.  I know that these girls will change and grow and may go their separate ways in the future but it is my hope and prayer that they will remain good friends for life.

My question to you:   Do you have a BFF? (other than your spouse)

PJ Day at a neighborhood restaurant (kids eat free with PJ's)

No comments: