My co-worker K has been literally raving about these food trucks that roll in once a week into my city. Now food trucks to me were those shiny silver trailers parked in business parks and train stations that served either American or Mexican food. I kind of stayed away from them for the fear of getting 'sick' from eating at one of these food establishments.
But when we gathered in the teacher's lounge for lunch, she would talk about all this great sounding food that I just had to try for myself. So recently we went and it was like a huge party in the parking lot of a shopping mall.
Apparently the Food Truck Mafia travels to various cities parking themselves during a specific time period at various parking lots to sell and promo their food. It's considered 'gourmet' food actually with lots of variety and actually amazingly delicious!! The Food Network has also featured them.
There were 10 trucks this evening varying from Vietnamese, seafood, Thai, Korean, Filipino, grilled burgers, to dessert trucks specializing in baked goods and yogurt galore.
The first truck we ordered from was the House of Siam Truck where I was told I HAD to order the tofu taco.
It was a delicious $2.50 taco. Very filling and flavorful!
Next stop was to Mogo BBQ which serves Korean style BBQ.
Matthew got 2 short rib tacos. They looked much smaller than my tofu taco from Siam.
I also got the short rib burrito. Not bad but not fantastic. I still preferred the tofu taco.
The girls got Honey BBQ Chicken with Rice from the House of Siam. They both loved it and devoured the whole thing.
Like many of the customers, we sat on the ground and ate until some rare seats became available at the very few tables they had out there. Majority of the patrons brought their own chairs and camping tables and gathered like it was a huge tailgate party. A DJ was there playing music and announcing the great food they had available there.
For dessert, we went to the pastry truck That's Sweet! Desserts which sold mini pies and cupcakes.
I got a mini peach pie which I took home to heat up. Not bad but I would have preferred fresh peaches.
Emily got a chocolate-vanilla cupcake. She gobbled that up very quickly. I guess she liked it!
As the evening progresses, the crowds were getting bigger and the lines longer. Matthew really wanted to try an unagi taco and wanted to wait until the line died down. But it never did. He gave up waiting and decided to get it first thing the next time we go again.
We even bumped into one of Hannah's classmate's family and Matthew's sister and her family.
My niece, Marissa, was enthralled by one of the guests who was sitting next to us.
I was impressed with the growing popularity of these Food Trucks and wanted to go back again. You can follow them on Twitter to find out where they are and when the next time they are in an area near you. They take only cash so leave your plastic at home. Next time we'll bring our own drinks and chairs to get comfy in to enjoy this good food. The trucks come at the beginning of summer until winter starts and then they probably head to warmer places?



2 comments:
In our area there's "Off The Grid" in Berkeley's gourmet ghetto with like a dozen trucks. The food and vibe are awesome. There are so many naysayers, but I don't understand why. Who doesn't love good food?? -stu
I do agree Stu! Do these trucks go to your area too or are they different trucks? Just wondering how far do they go on a daily basis.
Post a Comment