Thursday, May 29, 2014

Open House

It is THAT time of year again where the battle of the parents students Open House projects begins.

Fourth Grade theme is "Missions, Transcontinental Railroad or Gold Rush" 3-D project. Since Emily did the Transcontinental Railroad when she was in 4th grade, Hannah is supposed to choose a different theme than her sister's. (No 'recycling' a project if you know what I mean).

So Hannah chose Missions.. and the one she chose was one that she actually visited (abeit 3 years ago.. yes we plan early!)

Mission Santa Clara
2011 Mission Santa Clara
In front of the Mission
Hannah and her Daddy drew and cut out the foam pieces to construct the building.
Hannah's Mission Santa Clara
I totally forgot that I coordinated a wedding in this church (my first Catholic wedding) for my cousin Ben and his wife Grace.
Hannah designed and printed out the interior.

Hannah's was the only Mission in her class that had a removable roof.

In sixth grade, Emily had to choose a medieval life to depict. All the Middle Schoolers had to dress up and 'be' their famous person. On the evening of Open House each one stood in front of their completed poster board with a "pretend black 'on' button" on their table. As you go to them, you 'press' their black button and they share about their famous selves in 2 minutes or less.

Emily was Eleanor of Aquitaine, one of the wealthiest and most powerful women in western Europe during the High Middle Ages (1124-1204).
Emily said she gave her presentation over a dozen times that evening.
I must say I was totally impressed with the quality of presentations and costumes that each 6th, 7th and 8th grader presented.

3 comments:

theyews said...

I love the interior/exterior of Hannah's mission. Great work!

Emily looks beautiful - cool project!

Christina

Grace Lee said...

Wow, it sure helps that Daddy is an architect.

Grace Lee said...

Wow, it sure helps that Daddy is an architect.