Sunday, March 17, 2013

Balut

On the flip side of my last post on yummy food, this one to me, is not yummy food. It's the furthest from anything edible to me. Of course that is only my opinion. My dear Filipino friends say that this is a delicious delicacy.
These eggs were given to us by our Buffet Club President who has been dying for Matthew to try them!
This is a balut.. a duck egg ... a fertilized duck embryo that is boiled and eaten.

From wikpedia, "The eggs are savored for their balance of textures and flavors; the broth surrounding the embryo is sipped from the egg before the shell is peeled, 
After boiling the egg for 15 minutes, Matthew cracks the egg open and proceeds to drink it's broth. He says it tastes like strong crab broth.
and the yolk and young chick inside can be eaten. 
Then he proceeds to crack it's shell to see what the egg looks like before he eats it..
All of the contents of the egg may be consumed, 
Apparently I was told he ate it the WRONG way.
Quack quack?
although the white may remain uneaten; depending on the age of the fertilized egg, the white may have an unappetizing cartilaginous toughness."

Funny thing is that the only part Matthew really ate was the 'white' which I was told was the part you discard. He usually eats the egg whites of chicken eggs so that was the first part he took a bite out of. Was tough and not too appetizing. Then he continues to take it apart.. basically he dissected it which I was also told that he was NOT supposed to do.

How you should eat balut is: Crack a small hole in the egg and then take a small spoon, some salt and pepper and scoop the contents out to eat. Do not take apart the egg and look at it. Seeing it is a no-no. I can understand why... I wouldn't eat it if I saw that! Would you?

3 comments:

valerie c. said...

trying to pretend i just watched a dissection in biology...!

Patty Chin Kashiwamura said...

Oh yuck! I should not have seen that.

nn said...

eek!