Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Top Picks in a Nutshell

[Continued HK series #8 of 10]

On our last day we visited the ICC: International Commerce Center which is a 118-story skyscraper completed in 2010. It is currently the world's 4th tallest building by height; 3rd tallest building by floors and the tallest building in Hong Kong.
The building is comprised of a basement shopping mall called Elements; Morgan Stanley and Credit Suisse in the 16th and 12th floors respectively; Deutsche Back occupies 12 floors; and the Ritz-Carlton Hotel occupies floors 102-118. The world's highest swimming pool and bar can be found on the 118th floor. It's hotel lobby is on the 9th floor. This will probably be the closest to 'swimming in the clouds' as you can get!
We got up there just when it was dusk and the sun was setting.
We went to the 100th floor which is Sky 100 - Hong Kong's highest Observation Deck. Here you can have 360 degree views of Hong Kong. Also you can view exhibits on local history and culture of HK. It is here that they posted HK favorites (as polled by visitors).

I noted these lists and wanted to see if I had, indeed, matched their answers. So here we go..
In HK, I love Doing...
1. Yes... to an extent
2. Kind of... yes when the sky is clear and not cloudy or gloomy
3. I don't experiment but I do eat what I like
4. I do enjoy visiting the HK History Museum and seeing what life was like in the past to appreciate the present and the future; you know me... every moment can be a teachable moment
5. Yes.. loved Ocean Park and Disneyland... especially loved seeing my girls having so much fun!

In HK, if I had just one day, I'd have to visit...
1. Ummm not so much... I'm not big on sitting around and admiring the sights.. not when there is someone pushing and shoving next to you... remember the crowds? And smoke?
2. Yes, did that.
3. Yes, did that too.
4. Yes, definitely shopped there. That's where I bought 35 reusable baggies for my friends back home along with 11 purse charm hooks.
5. Nope... don't follow Chinese celebrities so why go?

In HK, don't leave town until I've bought...
1. Yep I got some scarves.
2. Of course, as you have read, we ate... a lot!
3. Yes! I found a great waterproof eye liner at Sasa ( equivalent to our Sephora); Emily got some nail polish and Hannah got some lip balms.
4. Nope... no need for them.
5. Absolutely not! We are not like the Mainlanders who literally filled those stores and stood in line for them to open. Don't have that kind of cash!
In HK, the dish that really makes my mouth water is...
1. Yep.. their dim sum is pretty delicious but I have to say Canton (where dim sum originated), China has even yummier and bigger ones!
2. Yep... quite fresh and delicious. Apparently my sister-in-law and her family had THE best seafood Christmas dinner ever! I was jealous!
3. Yep...their almond milk tea with pearl was delish.. I got it twice!
4. Definitely..., the chasu, roast duck and steamed chicken was sooooo good!
5. Yep.. but I have to say the po-tat that I got at KFC surpassed the dan-tat I got on the street.. but only by a tiny bit!

Hannah and I enjoying our pearl drinks for the last time... passion fruit green tea and almond milk tea respectively
Lastly we had the great opportunity to have a meal with old friends from our old church, Edward and Jeunki with their kids, Elizabeth and Joshua. We have known this wonderful family for 20+ years. I taught both these kids Sunday School and remember when Joshua didn't even speak English yet. He was that little! Matthew's parents go way back with Edward's family back in Texas. So this family has lots of history with us!
Both kids graduated from KHA ( formerly CCS) and went on to college. Elizabeth graduated from SJ State and is working and is a new homeowner. Joshua is currently attending UC Irvine. I am very proud of these two beautiful young adults.

Of course when we get together, we always reunite over food. We had a delicious dinner at Shang Shang Shanghai Cuisine at Langham Place in the Mongkok area.
Shanghaiese fried bun with condensed milk
La Mian (hand pulled noodles) with Shredded Pork and Preserved Vegetables
Fried Shanghai Rice Cake (hand cut)
Shanghai Steamed Dumpling aka Xiao Long Bao
Almond Bean Curd with Mixed Fruits
Glutinous Ball Coated with Grated Nut & Sesame (left) and Crispy Sesame Pastry with Red Bean Paste (right)
We end with a picture of what many people are doing these days (especially me!)

NEXT UP: Intrusion

6 comments:

valerie c. said...

looks like you all had a great, memory-making time! and of course, i should never look at these foodie pictures after having breakfast. ;-)

Grace Lee said...

The Xiao Long Bao, do not look that "Xiao." They look humongous!!

dokiquilts said...

Hey Cezanne,
i'm having so much fun reading your HK blogs--makes me nostalgic! my brother is working there now and my parents keep going back and forth--so hopefully our whole family can go back "soon." i'll have to hit you up for more tips then (again, this might be in a few years!) btw, did you stay at a hotel or did you rent an apt? most importantly, did you guys run into alan tam? :-)
dorothy

CEZ said...

Valerie.. yes we did..and you should expect to see some foodie pictures in my posts!!

Grace... It's the close up lens that make stuff big... like our hips!

Dorothy... Our living arrangements will be in post #10.. so keep reading.. No I did not see Alan Tam and if I had I wouldn't have recognized him but my sister-in-law went to a restaurant that has dedicated their walls with all his pictures! It's run by a huge fan although I'm not sure if they are a bigger fan than YOU! LOL! I'll email you a picture from it once I ask her for it!

dokiquilts said...

ooh--if it's the restaurant i'm thinking of, alan goes there every once in awhile!

mom said...

You had been so many places in HK which make me envy you. I should visit these places too this summer too