We headed to Vancouver, Canada, this time to celebrate with Matthew's cousin, Stacy's marriage to Terry. (Yes... if you have been following my blog this is twice in one year.. actually twice in 3 months.) This time we only stopped in Seattle for an hour layover before switching planes to Vancouver.
We boarded this little plane... it actually had propellers.
And seated only two seats on each side. Not a bad ride... I would have thought it would be more bumpier with it being so small but it wasn't. The landing was quite smooth!
Once we got to the airport, we were picked up by Uncle Pat (5-Sook), swung by the hotel to check in and drop off our stuff and then headed to Auntie Eugenia/Uncle Roy's (3-Goo-Jeh/ Goo-Jeung) house.
Matthew's sister, Matthea and her family already arrived the night before. This was the first time the Vancouver relatives met both of her children. She was pregnant with Marissa the last time we were all up for a wedding.
 |
| First time Marissa met Buddy, 3-Goo Jeh/Jeung's doberman pincher. He is a very gentle dog... big though. |
 |
| 5-Sook is always an entertainer. (aka.. he gets bored easily.) Here he is entertaining us with some magic tricks. [I have no idea what he was trying to do. But of course I was not paying attention.] |
I have to tell you that our hotel was in a great location. Literally we were in the Hong Kong version of Canada. That is what the city of Richmond is referred to. Everywhere you see Chinese restaurants, Chinese stores, Chinese speaking people.
And across the hotel there was a mall. A Chinese Mall with a Chinese Food Court.
 |
| Kenny, Matthea, Timothy and Marissa |
We all loved the Food Court. Matthea could come every day.. numerous times a day to get her milk tea.
 |
| Hannah had preserved duck egg and lean pork porridge (aka pay dan so yook jook) |
 |
| Emily had just plain noodles minus the won ton (she is a simple gal) |
 |
| The same for Marissa |
 |
| And Timothy.. they sure love their noodles! |
 |
| I, on the other hand, had Teppanyaki. The rib eye beef cooked on the hot iron plate and everything was delicious! |
Then off to shopping in Daiso, the largest at least on this side of the hemisphere. This Daiso was two floors large and had a lot more of everything than the one at home.
(for those who don't know, Daiso is a Japanese dollar store. Most items cost $2 CAD at this store) -ed.
 |
| It was quite cold in Vancouver. |
This mall could not be an Asian mall without a Hello Kitty Store.
We also checked out the Olympic Oval in Richmond where the speed skating events occurred in 2010 Winter Olympics. The big rink was converted into multi-use sporting venues: a smaller ice skating rink, basketball court, etc...
It was located next to Fraser River, the longest river within British Columbia... perfect place to see.... wild birds!!
 |
| Canada goose and her family |
NEXT UP: Pre-Wedding Banquet
4 comments:
you would be my first choice for a travel companion to Hawaii, Canada, Las Vegas...!
;-)
Great trip and pictures (as always).
Forgot exactly how Chinese Richmond was. That is why my parents got out of practice when they were in Vancouver. They could very easily make their way around with only Chinese being spoken.
Patrick
I miss Daiso so much! Favorite place to get anything you didn't know you needed in Macau! Just this week I was thinking about how badly I wish there was one close in Shanghai, and then remembered I have the small commodities market directly across the river from our house. I'm doing okay now. ;)
Good photos. I love LY and LW's facial expression, I can tell the noodles must be very yummy! KW is very content with her bowl of jook too! Yep, KY is a simple gal, any noodle is find with her! She is easy to please.
Post a Comment