Thursday, August 23, 2012

The Worthy Walk was a WIN!

No... Prop 35 didn't pass...yet. (Remember to VOTE YES ON 35 in November!!)

I'm talking about my fundraising efforts in regards to our Walk the Track in Oakland.

If you don't know what I'm talking about check out my post on it:
http://mamacez.blogspot.com/2012/08/a-worthy-walk.html

This week I received  a certificate acknowledging that my team was the Top Fundraiser for this event!


REALLY?!! WOW!! This makes me so happy ... and so sad... at the same time! Why?
I am happy that my team, the Fab 4, was the Top Fundraiser.. don't get me wrong but I like to win! Especially when I was not expecting it at all!
I am sad though that my team's $690 was the most they could get from one team. I was expecting others to raise way more than $690. But c'est la vie!

Bottom line is this.. Human trafficking is wrong wrong wrong! And we have to do something about it.
Proposition 35 is a start.
  • Our laws reflect our societal values. Human trafficking is a brutal human rights abuse. It is also a lucrative criminal business. Current California laws offer little protection for victims targeted by human traffickers and online predators. It is crucial to decrease incentives and increase the risk for those involved in the enslavement and exploitation of human beings.
  • Slated for the November 2012 California Ballot, the Proposition 35 ( the CASE Act) will deter traffickers with higher penalties and fines, use fines to fund victim services, remove barriers to prosecute child sex traffickers, mandate training for law enforcement officers, require convicted sex traffickers to register as sex offenders, require all sex offenders to disclose Internet accounts, and protect victims in court proceedings.
  • Additionally, the Prop 35 will raise awareness and unite Californians to take action. With up to 17 million voters, this will form the largest single movement against human trafficking in the U.S.
 Taken from their website: http://www.caseact.org/case/

Please tell everyone you know to vote YES on 35. It may save someone you may know. Thank you!

1 comment:

valerie said...

yay for you!
prop. 35 is better than what we have now...
:(