Sunday, August 19, 2012

Great America is so GREAT!

... said our young friend, Faith, whom we took to Great America as a 10th birthday gift to her.
Emily, Hannah, and friends, Faith and Shawna
The girls and I used to have season passes and would go numerous times for the past few summers. But since a water park opened up where we live, I felt that we should not get passes for both. And since we spend the most time at the GA water park, it would be more convenient to just swim near home. So no more visiting GA...

...Until this summer. And boy was it FUN! The last time I was here (2 summers ago), I brought a stroller (for Hannah); had to put life jackets on both girls and had to be in the water with Hannah since she did not know how to swim.

Now, both Emily and Hannah know how to swim, Hannah can ride the BIG rides, No stroller and No life jackets needed! In fact, they can wonder around by themselves without my direct supervision. How FREE-ING!!!

Better yet, bring another friend, Shawna, to even their numbers so no one has to sit on a ride by themselves! Brilliant!!

GA was originally named "Marriott's Great America" when I first visited way back in the 80's.
Some of the original rides were:
The Berserker
Psycho Mouse
Centrifuge
TaxiJam
Logger's Run
Shawna and Faith ventured on this ride twice!
In the early 1990's, it became "Paramount's Great America" with a Nickelodeon themed running throughout the kids area of the park. SpongeBob, Rugrats, Blue and Dora were very popular!
Peanuts Pirates (formerly SpongeBob Boatmobiles)
Woodstock Express (formerly Rugrats Runaway Reptar)
In 2004 they added the water park, Boomerang Bay with the water slides and Kookaburra Cay, the water spray section.
This is Dideridoo Falls.. a water slide that I've always 'wanted' to go on since it opened in 2004 but I never got the nerve to actually ride it. Until now! Yep it took me 8 years to get the nerve to ride it and I did... TWICE!
At the top of the slide before we head down..









In 2007, Boomerang Bay expanded to include Castaway Creek (a lazy river) and the wave pool, Great Barrier Reef.
Hannah with her cousin, Marissa

 Matthew's sister and her kids met us there to join in the fun!
Matthea and Timothy
Lounging in Boomerang Lagoon
Experiencing the wave pool, Great Barrier Reef
So happy to have Matthew's underwater camera to use!
 But in 2007, GA changed ownership again and is currently called "California's Great America" with a Snoopy's themed kids area instead of Nickelodeon.
The kids had no idea who Snoopy or Woodstock were

But it's good to know that one of their favorite foods didn't change!

Reminder.. Keep commenting.. a winner will be chosen on September 1! I'm still mulling over ideas for a prize. Your thoughts?

2 comments:

valerie clubb said...

it's been AGES since we have been to GA! i think our youngest was in a stroller! have you taken the girls to Knott's Berry Farm in SoCal? my dad knew Mr. Knott, so once in a while my parents would take us into the park for an hour or so...i don't even know if they still have Declaration Hall there! things change over the years when you don't keep up with them! love the waterslide park pictures!

Amos said...

Wow, it looks like a lot of fun! I think I last went almost 20 years ago. Didn't even know about the water park. Great pics of the rides!