Friday, July 27, 2012

Rooftop Luau

As a part of the promo package, we were able to go to a luau. Now Matthew and I have already been to one the last time we were in Hawaii but the girls have not. Emily was only one at the time so she doesn't remember it at all.

Usually a traditional luau gives you a bit of the true Hawaiian experience with music, dance, fire and food. You get to try the poke, poi and pulled pork that comes from the pig that is cooked in the ground. They have a big ceremony that showcases the pig getting pulled out of it's 'underground oven'. It's pretty entertaining.

Before the eating festivities, you usually get to experience different Hawaiian activities. Canoeing, throwing spears, making leis, making carvings, or getting a temporary art tattoo even. It's lots of fun and a great time learning about native Polynesian culture and history against a beautiful sunset against mountains.
A painted mural of the mountainside to give the luau 'ambiance'
Now this luau was the 'Waikiki Starlight Luau' which was situated on the rooftop of the conference center of our resort. You can guess that many of the 'normal' luau activities would be quite impossible to do. But since it was free and we didn't have to drive over an hour to it, I was okay with it.

We were greeted with a shell lei. Orchid leis were for 'premium' ticket holders. I found out we had 'general admission' tickets at $95 each and sat way back towards the side of the stage. I guess the more you pay the better seats you get and of course you get the better lei. We sat next to another family of four: mom and dad with their two daughters. They were from the SF area. What a small world.


The emcee welcomes the guests, gave a quick hula demonstration and skirt wrap demonstration. Then we feast on the buffet.

Lots of food to chose from and I must say I enjoyed this food better than the previous luau we attended. But the pageantry and ceremonial aspects were missing which I enjoyed from the first one.

Veggies, fish, chicken and pulled pork
Hawaiian fried rice
Prime rib
Fruits and salads
After all the eating, the show started with various dance numbers with hunky polynesian guys and gorgeous Hawaiian gals. It ended with a dramatic fire dance with was pretty nice.


Honestly, I enjoyed the other luau which was at Paradise Cove. I also thought that paying $95 a ticket for an adult and $49 for a child was too much but since it was free I'm not complaining... too much.

Yet still more to come...

Contest Reminder... keep commenting!! 

No comments: