Friday, July 20, 2012

Ice Ice Baby

Where to get the best shave ice?

Everyone told us we have to get shave ice in Hawaii. That's where the REAL shave is.. Not those fake ones we have here. They're called 'snow cones' here on the mainland.

"Go to Matsumotos.. They're the best!" "No... Go to Waiola.. They are the best," you all say.

So we tried both.



Matsumotos was on the north side of the island and there was a line but it went fast. What makes them unique was that they take a block of ice and shave it into fine pieces. Then they pack it tight into a ball and pour sweet syrup all over it. They also have toppings such as red bean, or 'li hing' powder and even ice cream served in the middle.


The Masumoto shave ice is very fine and just melts in your mouth. I picked cherry and lycee flavors and the lycee was just so delicious. I also got ice cream with mine but I didn't get to taste it until I got to almost the bottom of the shave ice. The small is huge!


 Waiola Shave Ice is located in Waikiki.


The Waiola shave ice has an even more finer texture than Masumoto's.  They also shave a block of ice (using a different type of machine though)  but they don't pack it in as tight as Masumotos. It's a little bit too fine for me. Kind of like a Sorbet texture. They also offer all kinds of toppings and you can get ice cream or red bean in it. I got cherry and lycee again and it was good but by the time I got to the bottom of my cup the flavors were watered down and I was just eating ice.


But if I had to vote, I would pick Matsumoto over Waiola.


Hannah.. My shave ice princess... Liked neither.. She preferred the shave ice at Waimea Valley which was pretty much like the ones back home. They use ice cubes and crush the ice into tinier pieces. She liked the ability to bite and crunch the ice which you can't really do with the Matsumoto or Waiola shave ices.

To each their own I say!!

More to come...

REMINDER: Keep commenting, you may be a winner!

6 comments:

eling said...

we go to Matsumoto's exclusively since that's the place Gpa Choy took us to when he first introduced us to shave ice. Now we return with great memories of him and his early years growing up in Haliewa, North Shore.

eling said...

p.s. I like the blue tongue!

Amos said...

H's tongue is bluer than her shirt! Awesome!

valerie clubb said...

i'm with Hannah--crunchy is more fun!

mah Mah said...

I didn't realize Ka Wan's tongue is so long until it's blue. I think she is talented in speech !

BigO said...

I prefer Waiola. I like the smooth texture, like eating ice cream but without the lactose. We got one everyday. Miss Hawaii, haven't been back in awhile.