Volume 26, 2021 Edition
2021 was a year filled with God's grace and provision in our lives. As we continue to live in a post-pandemic world, we are reminded of our relationships with friends and family. It was difficult to not see many of you in person, but the pandemic forced us to find other ways to connect. Knowing you is our most valued and precious asset. We truly hope to connect with you this year whether it be in person or online.
"So be truly glad.There is wonderful joy ahead, even though you must endure many trials for a little while. These trials will show that your faith is genuine. It is being tested as fire tests and purifies gold - though your faith is far more precious than mere gold. So when your faith remains strong through many trials, it will bring you much praise and glory and honor on the day when Jesus Christ is revealed to the whole world." (1 Peter 1:6-7)
May you experience God's peace during this season. Merry Christmas!
 |
| Waimanalo Beach, Oahu |
 |
| Photography project with rescue animals; Etsy bunny cross-stitch business; CBU apartment |
EMILY (21 yrs)Emily is half way through with her third year at California Baptist University, majoring in Graphic Design with two concentrations: Motion Design and Visual Experience. For one of her projects, she chose to create an animated video featuring Bopomofo Cafe in San Gabriel. The owners saw her video and invited her whole class for a free boba drink. When they arrived she met one of the owners, Phil Wang (Wong Fu Productions) who personally thanked her for her hard work showcasing their restaurant. Overall she is enjoying being back to a college campus full of students. She has been deepening her college friendships and also making new ones at a new church called The Promise Church, in Riverside. She juggles two part time jobs: a remote one for Evisort; and an in-person job at the computer lab on campus.
 |
| Emily with Hazy, foster bunny #25 |
"This past year I have been diving into all my major-specific courses within graphic design at CBU. I learned a ton about studio lighting, completing my final project highlighting rescue pets through a series of portraits, one of my favorite projects to date. In addition, I created a Shin Ramyun (noodle company) advertisement series for a design class, also incorporating in my own photographs for the project. However, these classes have taught me that there were certain points where photography no longer became a passion, and didn't want to view it as just another thing to trudge through. God put me on this earth to love our work to the fullest, being a sub-creator to the ultimate Creator himself. Motion Design and Visual Experience are new design subjects that I have been really enjoying learning about. I currently work as a student worker in the design lab and have gotten involved in the CBU design community so much more than previous years, getting to know students and professors alike. Outside of school, I am still very passionate about fostering rabbits and rabbit rescues. I even started making custom cross stitch bunnies for other fellow rabbit owners. I look forward to growing my design skills and growing in my relationships, as well as fostering many more bunnies in the new year."
 |
| Trying her first drink after turning 21 (with her friend Courtney) |
 |
| kayaking with CBU students in La Jolla |
 |
| 70's Wanda costume (WandaVision) |
Hannah is enjoying her senior year of high school at FCS. She is involved in concert choir, ensemble choir, student government, leadership academy, being a teacher’s aide, and also taking a course at DeAnza College. School friends and church Youth Group are her social outlets. She got her driver's license over the summer and loves the freedom to drive herself to and from the many social engagements that she has now. She realizes that high school is ending soon so she's trying to take advantage of opportunities to spend time with friends and to savor every moment. College plans are not certain yet but there is a good chance that she may end up joining her sister at CBU.
 |
| Enjoying beautiful Oahu |
"After spending over half of my junior year on zoom, I had the opportunity to go back in person for the last few weeks of school. I was thrilled to go back as I was able to reconnect with my close friends and chat with teachers. During the summer: I enjoyed traveling to Hawaii with my family where we were able to meet up with several family friends; I started researching colleges in preparation for college applications; and I ended my summer with getting my driver’s license. As I am writing this, I’m in the fourth month of my senior year of high school and I am learning to treasure every single moment of it. From hanging out with friends almost every weekend to attending school events, such as prom and sports games, I realize how blessed I am to have such a close bond between my friends and a strong involvement in school. In addition to school, I also look forward to youth group on Friday nights where we're able to worship together, have fellowship, and grow in our faith. So far this year, I am so thankful for the many blessings and opportunities God has opened up and I look forward to making more memories as I complete the rest of my senior year."
 |
Dr Strange Experience at Disneyland/California Adventure
 | | FCS Fall Concert |
|
 |
| Getting ears pierced with BFFs |
 |
| Turning 18.. a legal adult |
 |
| Surprise celebration for her first college acceptance. |
 |
| Celebrating my birthday, presents from my girlies |
CEZANNE
I've had a very busy yet fulfilling year, becoming the bookkeeper for the family business. I learned how to use Quickbooks from "YouTube University" and some very helpful accounting savvy friends. Needless to say, this was very much out of my comfort zone, but I knew that it was an essential part of partnering with Matthew in his new business. I learned that God is so faithful to everything me and my family needed. At Grace Church, I've been growing in new friendships, and Matthew and I joined a cohort group with 8 other couples led by the pastor and his wife. It’s been an enriching time of self reflection and growth for me as an individual and also as a married couple. We also continue to meet weekly with our former pastor for Bible study. Through this connection, I was hired to be his part-time Admin Assistant for his role as the Executive Director at Connect Silicon Valley, a non-profit faith based networking organization.
 |
| Life group gathering, The WELL |
 |
| What we look forward to after a great IMX Pilates workout |
 |
| Planking at Muir Woods with Lisa |
 |
| Celebrating Lisa's 50ish birthday in Maui |
 |
| Sunset at Duke's Beach House, Maui |
MATTHEW
Lost my job. Started my own business. Separated my shoulder while snowboarding. Crashed the rental car during our Hawaii vacation. Got stung by a man-o-war jelly fish. Getting sued for an accident. Things don't always go as planned, yet God remains constant. Through every trial God showed up and provided. In my entire career, never did I want to become an entrepreneur. But when my hand was forced, this ended up being the best thing that's ever happened to my career. Yet it was all in God's timing. I lost my job on January 4th, 2021, and started M2 Design Group on January 5th. Over and over God provides and tells me to trust in him. It's still hard sometimes, but I am learning. I'm also blessed to have a supportive wife helping me with all the bookkeeping. God always reminds me of the good. Below is my evidence.
 |
| Reminiscing with some of my oldest friends - from high school |
 |
| Shoulder still working fine (PC: Michael Yee) |
 |
| Top of Diamond Head, HI with 2 of my favorite girls. |
 |
| Basketball reunion - This group became one of the casualties of my job change so it is extra special when we get to play together. |
FAMILY HIGHLIGHTS
As everyone became vaccinated, we were able to enjoy in-person gatherings...
 |
Building new friendships from Grace Church
|
 |
| Grace Church fellowship lunch |
 |
Celebrating our nephew Zachary's high school graduation from The King's Academy
|
 |
In Oahu, HI with family and a couple friends
|
 |
| Family movie time.. first time back to a movie theater since the pandemic |
 |
| Wedding reception of one of my Sunday School kids, Joshua Wu to Cordelia |
 |
| Wedding Reception of Matthew's cousin, Nathan Kwong to Marsha |
 |
| Bridal shower for our god-daughter, Mandy with her mom (my cousin Cheryl) and her auntie Christina |
 |
| Wedding of Matthew's baby brother, Matthel to Marisa |
|
 |
| Our very first Tea Ceremony (to be served tea) |
I started this blog in 2011 with the hopes to share about our family especially the girls with friends and family. Kids do grow up so quickly! Currently social media takes center stage and blogging is a lot more work than posting a quick picture on Instagram. So in 2021, a decade and 470 posts later, I close this venue of sharing my life with you.
I will continue to post on Instagram @mamacez2017 and just opened a Facebook account also so I'd love to see and hear from you there!
3 comments:
I enjoy reading your blog all these years. Thanks for your diligence in posting your life events and sharing great information. I will try to set up an Instagram account soon. Hope to connect with you there. Have a wonderful Christmas :)
I loved reading all about your adventures! Thank you for sharing your trials and triumphs, very inspiring. Loved all of the pictures of your beautiful family! Merry Christmas!
This is your old neighbor on Litchfield, by the way. :) Mari Ashby
Post a Comment