Volume 24 Issue 1 2019
Merry Christmas to our family and friends! We treasure our friendship with you and hope we can connect with you this upcoming year. May you experience God's joy and peace during this Christmas season. We'd love to hear from you!
Blessings to you,
Matt, Cezanne, Emily & Hannah
Emily (19 yrs) @msamylime
 |
| "Foster Mom" Emily hired an artist to create her pillow and sweatshirt of her foster bunnies |
"This year I fostered a total of 9 bunnies and said goodbye to HRS after volunteering there for 13 months. Senior year was filled with tons of fun memories at senior cruise, prom, and graduating alongside my friends. I loved visiting bunny island and the Studio Ghibli museum in Japan during summer. God taught me that even when I don’t see or feel his presence, He is always working."
Emily is in her first year of college at California Baptist University in Riverside. She is majoring in graphic design and has acclimated well to her new surroundings. This year was filled with many first-time experiences such as going to her first formal dance (prom); grad night at Disneyland; visiting Bunny Island and Studio Ghibli Museum in Japan; and moving out for school over 350 miles away from home (Mom's not counting). Even though we miss her dearly, Matthew and I know that the time has come to let her go. This is a wonderful opportunity in her life to learn about being independent and self-sufficient. We are very happy that she's doing well in her studies, has made many new friends, and continues to grow in her faith.
 |
| Senior Cruise and Senior Prom |
 |
| HS graduation and Senior Grad Night @ Disneyland |
 |
| Feeding wild bunnies on Okunoshima (bunny island), Japan |
 |
| CBU dorm life in Simmons Hall |
HANNAH (16 yrs) @am_hannah
 |
| Participating in Track & Field last season |
"This year's highlights include singing at Carnegie Hall in NY; fun first experience on Track & Field team; Japan trip (food, site-seeing, shopping, Tokyo Disneyland and Disney Sea); spontaneous trip to LA Disneyland; redecorating my own room (for the first time); fostering my first bunny, Graham; and going to our school's Sadie Hawkins dance. Things I'm looking forward to: Thanksgiving break, LA Disneyland Concert Choir trip, and getting my braces off! God has shown me that he will always be there to comfort me in any situation. He is omnipresent and known as Jehovah-Shalom, which means to bring peace. I have nothing to worry about becuase God will always be there to comfort me."
Hannah is a Sophomore at FCS and has been enjoying her year filled with sports, singing and lots of homework. We thought she would be the one missing her big sis the most since Emily was her full-time tutor/best friend/confidant/beauty tester, but we were pleasantly surprised that she has blossomed into her own self, enjoying being the only child in the house. She has excitedly transformed the room she shared with her sister into her 'own room.' She continued our new tradition of fostering bunnies just like her bunny-crazed sister. Hannah does not love bunnies as much as Emily does but we do know that having a pet (even a temporary one) can help calm her anxiety and help her focus on something other than herself.
 |
| Performing in Carnegie Hall, NY |
 |
| Celebrating big sis' graduation |
 |
| FCS' Sadie Hawkin's dance with her friends; cartoon character theme |
MATTHEW @matma92ser
 |
| At the Vessel, NYC |
Matthew's been thinking about a new car for a while now, with the Mini going on 14+ years and 200k miles. The car that he really wanted was not exactly in the budget, but he was pleasantly surprised when an opportunity came up on a used one through a friend of a friend. On the same day that he picked up the car, he curbed one of the wheels. It was a very real reminder to him that everything we own actually belongs to God. He loves cars and there's nothing wrong with that, but God continually reminds us not to put anything above him. He can take away anything at any time, which has definitely happened before! It's another story that you can ask Matthew about.
Another thing that Matthew doesn't take for granted is his health. He loves playing basketball and usually plays 2 or 3 times a week during his lunch break. There was a period over 9 weeks where he was only able to play 2 of those weeks, because of an achilles injury. He jokes that now he has something in common with Kevin Durant. Whenever he is able to play, he feels blessed to be healthy enough to run and jump, and grateful for a good group of guys to play with.
The most significant milestone for Matthew and our whole family was transitioning to a family of 3 now that Emily is away at college. It's been exciting, happy, and sad all at the same time. Matthew misses Emily dearly but knows that this is God's plan for her as she grows into young adulthood. Matthew's grateful for the time they spent together going to the bunny shelter every weekend during Emily's senior year of high school. He says that it's been a joy to see Hannah growing more independent without big sis around. The two of them have been enjoying more father-daughter time as well.
 |
| At Heavenly ski resort with Amos |
 |
| Father's Day portraits at church |
CEZANNE @mamacez2017
 |
| Celebrating being the first to complete 500 classes (gifts from the owner) along with Diane C, who introduced me to the studio (current class count is 662 in three years) |
"Transitions and Travel" was what this year was about: I transitioned from substitute teaching to Executive Admin for our Lead Minister (part-time job working from home) for a brief period. I realized I am most satisfied and fruitful when using the skills God gifted me with. I can't do everything that needs to be done well, but if I can focus on one thing, I can do it well. I know that using my administrative gifts gives me more satisfaction and joy than overseeing something. Thus I've stepped away from overseeing the various ministries I was involved in at our church. But I still enjoy co-leading my Ladies Life Group which has been meeting for 11 years now.
Transitioning from 4 to 3 in our home has been a mixed bag of emotions. I felt a deep sadness that one vital part of our family will not be sharing life with us on a daily basis, but I know that this is an important part of her life that she must experience. I am so thankful for Facetime and texting! Travel was frequent this year with numerous trips to LA for Emily's college; NYC with Hannah's school choir; Japan summer trip to Osaka, Kyoto, Hiroshima, and Tokyo; and a November Vancouver, BC trip to see family.
Exercise is still super important to me, usually going to Pilates 5x/week and sometimes squeezing in a sixth class (if Danielle offers her stretch/foam rolling class) on the weekends. I am stronger, more flexible and agile which is important as we grow older. I also love the new friends I have made at Pilates. It definitely has grown my 'social circle' since I'm not working at an office/school.
 |
| Exploring and eating through NY with my goddaughter/niece, Mandy |
 |
| So thankful for my accountability group-- forever sisters in Christ |
 |
| So many graduations |
FAMILY HIGHLIGHTS
Weddings, graduations, family and friend reunions are what makes life precious!
 |
| Celebrating Jessica (Yee) & Tito Sorto's wedding in February |
 |
| Celebrating my baby sister's 50th birthday |
 |
| Emily's fan club at her graduation (33 fans!) |
 |
| Nephew Daniel's college graduation from Santa Clara University |
 |
| Godson, Kyle's college graduation party from Cal State SLO |
 |
| Kimonos and Studio Ghibli, Japan |
 |
| Reunited with dear friends, Michael, Heather & Ben Chase along with new friends Rhett & Samantha, DisneySea, Tokyo |
 |
| Reunited with Vancouver Ma Family at my favorite restaurant, Kirin Seafood |
15 comments:
So good to catch up with the Ma Family!
You have done well beginning the launch of your beautiful daughters into life. They are beautiful and accomplished and sweet-spirited.
If you ever find yourselves in the greater Nashville area, please know you have a home-away-from-home here!
Have a Mighty Christmas!
We LOVE the Ma Family. What a great update. Merry Christmas!
Very informative AND interesting update. Never a dull moment with the Ma Family. And you are definitely not boring. We treasure you 4!! Merry Christmas!
How fun to see your girls growing up to be so beautiful ... and active! Wow, 43 flights??!! Thanks for sharing, and have a blessed Christmas!
Absolutely gorgeous photos! And love the update, the thoughts, the amount of reflection in your newsletter.
One day I will get around to writing our update...Ha, ha, ha!
Love,
Keith and Cindy
Beautiful. Absolutely beautiful, inside and out.
Merry Christmas!!
Warmest regards,
Christine Hansen
It so wonderful to see your annual updates! The girls have grown up so fast. I hope to have you guys over for a Petaluma reunion of sorts soon!!!
Take care and God bless
Huy
Hi Cezanne,
Thanks for sending the update! It’s good to hear that your family is doing well. Look forward to seeing you guys in a few weeks.
In Him,
Henry
Love the blog and pics!
Karen Borden
So lovely-you ever on the other side of the bridge? C
Thanks you Cezanne for the holiday picture and the link. I enjoy reading your blog! :) I’m jealous that you were able to finish 92 books in a year!! I have to work harder next year to catch up! :D
Anyhow. Thank you for being a wonderful friend and thank you for taking Michelle home when I’m stuck at work. You don’t know how much you have helped me and how much I appreciate you. So, thank you! May God continue to bless you and your family abundantly.
Love,
Gladys
Nice to hear from you and glad to know your family is doing well.
Time goes by fast. You now have a college
child. Our 5 grand kids are also growing.
Besides baby Ellie, the other 4 are: Audrey-
kindergarten, Avery- 1st grade, Jackson-2nd grade and Brendan, 3rd grade.
I remember not so long ago your 2 girls were
attending elementary school.
Our best wishes to you all a Joyous Holiday Seasons.
Aunt Brenda, Uncle DeDe and family
Enjoyed reading about your family! Thank you for sharing!
Marcia
Thank you so much for sharing your family!
Have a joyous Christmas!
blessings and peace,
Hi Matt and Cezanne,
Thanks very much for posting your Christmas letter. I very much enjoyed reading it. Nice to hear from you and see how God is blessing you and your family. May He continue to guide and watch over you.
- Ken Leong
Post a Comment