Wednesday, April 1, 2015

I Am Hopeless

That is what my baby girl told me as she cried in my arms a few weeks ago as she had another panic attack. It just about broke me when she uttered those painful words. How do you respond to an eleven-year old who says she is hopeless?

"hopeless" is defined as "providing no hope; beyond optimism or hope; without hope, despairing; impossible to accomplish, solve, resolve; not able to learn or act, perform, or work as desired; inadequate for the purpose"

As you may or may not know, Hannah struggles with anxiety and she hates it. It can consume her and she hates it. People see her when she's crying and asks what's wrong and she hates it. She feels worried for nothing in particular and she hates it. I think the hardest part for her is that people don't really understand what she is going through. And that, at least to me, can be sooo darn frustrating.

But low and behold, I came acrosss this article and it was so perfect! So perfect that I had to share it!

It was written by Joe White who quoted and used Sophie Wright's words and images. I'd like to quote both of them:

"Mental illness is one of the hardest things to explain to those who have never experienced it. While many illnesses have physical symptoms that others can see, the ones that occur in our minds are, in a sense, invisible. When you struggle with something like anxiety, those around you might have a hard time understanding why you can't control the way you're feeling. This sketch by artist Sophie Wright perfectly explains what having an anxiety disorder is like in only nine pictures."


Anxiety will always be with my baby girl. In first grade, she had separation anxiety. Currently, she is battling performance anxiety. But I know with lots of love and patience she will get through each nerve-wracking situation. Because she does have hope. She is not, in fact, hopeless.

Our Lord Jesus Christ died on Good Friday and it looked like we had no hope. He died for us so we may have hope. Hope in Him. Easter is coming. He has Risen!

My Hope Is Built (The Solid Rock)
By Edward Mote

My hope is built on nothing less
Than Jesus’ blood and righteousness.
I dare not trust the sweetest frame,
But wholly trust in Jesus’ Name.

Refrain
On Christ the solid Rock I stand,
All other ground is sinking sand;
All other ground is sinking sand.

When darkness seems to hide His face,
I rest on His unchanging grace.
In every high and stormy gale,
My anchor holds within the veil.

Refrain

His oath, His covenant, His blood,
Support me in the whelming flood.
When all around my soul gives way,
He then is all my Hope and Stay.

Refrain

When He shall come with trumpet sound,
Oh may I then in Him be found.
Dressed in His righteousness alone,
Faultless to stand before the throne.

7 comments:

Christy Ingebretson said...

Brutiful, sister! I was meditating on Isaiah 26:3-4 this week seeking to embrace peace found in the Rock.

Pastor Owen said...

You and Matt are the perfect parents to give constant hope and love for your daughters. Thanks for sharing something I totally have no understanding of.

CEZ said...

Thank you for sharing that great blog about Hannah and understanding anxiety. Praise the Lord that you and Matt are always looking to better understand her and love her through it. I Corinthians 13….love is patient, love is kind, etc… That’s what you guys are to her…LOVE! I will pray for Hannah. I will pray that she will take things moment by moment and day by day, and that the Lord will give her strength for each moment. May the victories add up over time, so that her faith can be deepened and her hope secured in God’s plan for her.

I pray that for all our kids. May they never lose hope that God can see them through anything in life, no matter how long suffering they must be.

Love you,
Marj

valerie c. said...

your daughter has the ability to be empathetic, understanding, perceptive in hearing the meta-messages of what people are saying, and most likely will develop the gift of discernment as she matures. God has blessed you with all she needs in her mom to encourage and love her through her life! xxoo

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing the good and the difficult times in life. Hannah is blessed to have such encouraging parents.

-Angelina C.

CEZ said...

Thanks Cez for sharing about Hannah. A very touching blog entry. I feel for Hannah having come from a family with anxiety issues too. Praying for her. So good to know she has great parents and is growing up in faith. Love, Michael

Heather Rose-Chase said...

This is so true! My son is now 14 and for the first time ever we are seeing some ray of hope from the dark place he's been dwelling since 1st grade. It's not easy at all being a caregiver, but I think about it like diabetes. Not something you can "see" with your eyes, but something that you'd never, ever tell someone to just get up and ignore it and stop making such a big deal about it. You are good parents! keep up the awesomeness!