Lisa: "Hey Cez, are you free Weds night?"
Me: "You mean like in two days from now?"
Lisa: "Well .. yeah."
Me: "Ummm yes... (hesitantly) Ah.. why?"
Lisa: "I wanted to invite you to a dinner that I bought a table for and I had an extra ticket so I thought you'd like to come eat with me. It'll be fun. We'll try all different dishes from different chefs."
Me: "Really? Wow that sounds great! Where is it going to be at?"
Lisa: "Michael Mina's Restaurant at Levi's Stadium"
Me: "Levi Stadium? I've never been and have been dying to go. Yes! I am free!" (of course I did not check with my husband yet.. bad wife)
Lisa: "Great! Well it's a fundraiser for a great cause."
Me: "Oh.. Should I bring my checkbook?"
Lisa: "Oh no.. I got you covered. Just come eat and have fun!"
And so I did!
![]() |
| I have never sat at a table with this much silverware and glassware for just one person! |
The event was a fundraiser for Family Reach, a national organization which has been helping families with a child or parent afflicted with cancer deal with the overwhelming financial burden of living life with significant out-of-pocket medical expenses. Family Reach helps families sustain themselves financially when one parent has to quit their job to care of their sick child; or help pay for transportation to and from the hospital for treatments; to help cover car payments, mortgages, the gas and electric bill and other everyday expenses that they now may have trouble paying due to this horrible devastating illness that has invaded their family.
One dedicated ambassador for Family Reach is Ming Tsai, a renowned chef and Food Network personality with his own cooking show. He gathers fellow cooking colleagues to host "Cooking Live with Chef Ming Tsai and Friends" all around the nation.
![]() |
| Michael Mina welcoming us to his restaurant. |
But before dinner there was a cocktail hour... where five delicious appetizers created by Ming were served to us. I was too busy eating to take pictures nor to remember their fancy names but it was a flattened suimai, a raw scallop, tempura lobster, uni, and a curry something. I tried everything except the scallop and uni which were served uncooked. I am so not a raw sushi eater.
![]() |
| During cocktail hour the numerous TV screens flashed all their event sponsors acknowledging them and above is Lisa's name (well.. her husband's name) and Friends.. that's me! |
![]() |
| My friend Lisa is to the right of me, her daughter, Danika is seated on the right side front. |
| The sashimi wasn't entirely raw.. the warm curry oil blanched it a little and with the papaya and crispy rice it was quite flavorful. Plus the salmon was tenderized to a very thin piece. |
![]() |
| The TV screens were a much better view that the real thing. |
| The short rib, on a slice of toasted bread, looked small but it was quite filling. |
The third dish was from the renowned chef of The Slanted Door located in the Ferry Building in SF, Charles Phan. He has quite a few restaurants located in SF.
His dish was Vung Tau Fisherman's Stew with Vietnamese Mint. The tomato base was simmered for a day or two. It was served with a 2012 Pont de Chevalier Sauvignon Blanc.
![]() |
| His staff assembled each dish proportionally the same for each guest. |
![]() |
| She definitely was French since she had a heavy French accent when speaking. |
| I have to admit that this was my least favorite dish. I'm really not into French food. |
| This, too, was just alright. |
![]() |
| The macaroons and caramel rolls were my favorite but everything was so delish! |
![]() |
| (L-R): Lisa, Ming, Danika and Lisa's family friend , Mike |
www.familyreach.org










4 comments:
the foodie that you are, i'm sure this was a once-in-a-lifetime F.U.N. experience for you!!! wow!
HOLY MOLY, serious fancy food!!! Ming has his own line of knives. I think we own one. You are so LUCKY!!
Grace, I KNOW! I totally thought of you when I was there and what you'd thought about each dish!! Had no idea of who any of those chefs were. Only chef I was familiar with was Chef Boyardee! An experience of a lifetime fer sure!
Wow! What an experience ! I love to watch chef Ming in TV .
Post a Comment