We were invited to our very first Sports Awards event at KHA. In previous years, the girls never participated on any sports teams so there was no reason to attend.... Until this year!
Each team was recognized by their respective coach and trophies are given to significant players in Basketball, Volleyball, Softball and Soccer.
 |
| The KHA Girls Basketball Team |
You know Emily played on the girls basketball team this year for the very very first time.. playing any sport actually! She did well and learned a lot as the games progressed. Little did I know that she did much better than I thought she did. I mean she was a newbie.. very green you know? The majority of the players were on their 2nd year of playing and had some kind of athletic ability. But I underestimated my daughter.
 |
| Coach Anderson describign to us how Emily plays on the court |
She received the trophy for Defensive Rookie MVP of the year in Girls Basketball! Matthew and I were so surprised and proud of her accomplishment. Coach Anderson said that he was amazed by her determineness and tenacity in her defensive ability in the game. We thank her coaches, Ralph Anderson and Scott Wong for instructing and teaching her the game of basketball. Ralph says she gets it from her father! Matthew is vicariously celebrating the trophy win through Emily!
 |
| Emily with Coach Anderson and Coach Wong |
I have to thank Scott (Coach Wong) also because I think Emily learned the most from his advise. He coached the girls through the Prince of Peace Tournament (when Coach Anderson was not available) and they came in 3nd place! Scott tends to instruct the girls throughout the game shouting instructions and directions to them at all times. Emily said she liked being told specifically what to do especially for someone who has not played the game before. He gave them strategies to use and plays to play.
An all in all great coach.. and the apple does not fall far from the tree... His daughter, 8th grader Courtney, received the Athlete Scholar of the Year trophy (an outstanding athlete in 2 or more sports and maintaining a 3.5 or above GPA in 8th grade) along with a trophy from 3 out of 4 the sports she played. So proud of her!
 |
The 8th grade trophies for Athlete of the Year (boy, Zane and girl, Claudia (right)) and
Athlete Scholar of the Year, Courtney (far left) |
Emily's trophy and my thank you flowers.. for helping to raise over $15,000 for the PE/Athletic Dept. It was a great evening!
2 comments:
i think Emily is going to continue to surprise and amaze you and Matthew as she continues on in the next few years of school. you should be very proud of her! xoxo
Thanks Cez, For the birthday wishes and the nice words on your Blog. I enjoyed watching them play hard and not give up. It was neat to see them compete especially for the newbies like Emily, she definitely deserved the Defensive Rookie MVP award.
Scott
Post a Comment