Saturday, June 1, 2013

Her First Ribbon

Hannah was chosen to represent her third grade class at KHA in the ACSI Speech Meet. 

When her teacher asked me if she would want to compete in this event, I replied, "My anxiety-ridden little girl? No way! But you can ask her to see what she'll say."

Well.. she said she wanted to try. I was shocked and thrilled at the same time. Her teacher emailed me two poems, the two shortest poems from the list. She had to pick one of them. They still looked long to me but I have very poor memorization skills. I always told people I had a learning disability, the inability to memorize. That's why I do so poorly on tests. I can't remember what I read and studied.

But Hannah did not have that problem. She memorized the whole poem in three days and even added hand motions to some parts.

We had to be at Vacaville Christian School (an 1-1/2 hr drive) by 8:30am on a Saturday! Each grade (1st - 5th) and category (poetry, fable/folktale/bible memorization) assembled in different classrooms so we were not able to watch her classmates or other KHA students compete. Ribbons were also distributed back in the same classrooms.

Hannah recited her poem without error even though you can tell she was just a tad bit nervous as anyone would be in front of three judges and 25+ students and parents. She received a Superior ribbon, the highest honor given. We are so proud!

We could not video while she was competing so we videoed her when she got home.

To celebrate we took her out for a celebratory meal of her choice,  IHOP.
Breakfast is for Champions!
She also got a prize for competing. Her very own FurReal puppy she named Sparkle.
She walks, barks, growls and moves by itself or can be remote controlled!
I am so proud of her achieving this goal! And it's a competition that her sister has never competed in. Hannah is not as academically driven as Emily so it is so nice to see Hannah competing and winning something her sister hasn't. They both are very different girls! Hannah seems to have the skill of memorization, something that is also NOT from me.

Hmmm... I see a pattern.

6 comments:

valerie c. said...

yay for Hannah! that IS a big deal!

Kay Rahman said...

What a wonderful accomplishment! Job well done, Hannah!!

Angelina Chau said...

I'm having goosebumps watching the video. So proud of her!

Anonymous said...

As her teacher, I'm very proud of her. This has been a great year of growth for Hannah. She now knows what she can do and is willing to try what she can't.

Anonymous said...

I cried when i saw the video.I couldn't believe what I saw and heard.

mah Mah said...

I am so very proud of Ka Wai's accomplishment! I specially like her little creative motions. The actions help her to express well in her poem. and her smiles is wonderful! Mah Mah love you very much!